Thursday, August 14, 2008

Ford Family Tri!










I decided that I was going to get as many members of my family as I could to participate in the Idaho Spudman triathlon this year! I was successful in coordinating with Taylor, Mom, Walker, and Matthew! Unfortunately conflicts arose for some of us.....Taylor and Nikki got to venture to Australia, and my matthew ended up going to Lake Powell with his family instead....but fortunately we found some fantastic substitutes: Amy (Nikki's sister) and cousin Jacob!
Our drive down was quick and easy, due to several HEROES Season 1 episodes. 
Luckily we had a free place to stay once we arrived in Idaho which couldn't of consisted of better company: Nikki's wonderful family and friends! 
I have only barely touched on this whole triathlon lifestyle; completing my first sprint triathlon at Yuba lake last summer, but I am enjoying it completely! Spudman was going to be a bigger challenge for me for it was an Olympic distance (twice the distance of a sprint triathlon), especially since I was 0% motivated to train, of which I have to blame my training partner, matthew, who chose Lake Powell over his dear wifey.

During the triathlon my goggles didn't break, i got my wetsuit off in seconds as opposed to minutes, i didn't crash my bike, and I thankfully didn't run an extra mile; so i definitely see this one as a success! I even completed the triathlon in sprint mode and ended with a somersault! I have run into several random people since that recognize me and instantly approach to congratulate me, the "Somersault girl!"
Mom did not get to participate in the swimming section due to an unfortunate drowning accident....however, she had a fantastic time as well, and also completed the triathlon with a energetic sprint!
Walker of course did the best of all of us, followed by Jacob, me and then momma! I am so proud of all of us for completing the race with amazing times in each of our age groups! Jacob and I are making a goal to knock 15 minutes off of our bike section next year! I've also got to pick up my run as well, but honestly I did pretty amazing for not training at all! Maybe training is overrated after all.....especially since I don't really ever see myself running 6 minute miles for hours just to win.....definitely not that crazy....thanks to all who participated with me! I loved every minute of it and can't wait to do it next year! And special thanks to Papa, Pace, Jamison, Liz and Nikki's family, for they came and supported us the whole way!
If you are going to sign up you need to be on the ball, for the registration only lasted a few minutes due to its popularity! (registration is clear the heck in January, so get ready!)

1 comment:

kj said...

Congratulations to all of you! You make us proud!